Thursday, January 17, 2008

Language

I guess one of the things we need to do before we leave is learn some German while we still have time. We want to immerse ourselves over there and become somewhat fluent before we come back to Canada. Jodi picked up a couple of those German/English translation dictionaries, so we can figure out some of the common phrases. But, that only helps us for ordering schnitzel and wild boar, and there is no way we would be able make out what people might be saying to us. I want to take some kind of crash course before we go, but not an actual course here at school. Anybody else tried this and figured out a good method? There are a couple of software programs that have voice recognition that are supposed to be pretty good, albeit quite expensive. I don't know how confident I am with a program like that, and I don't want to make myself sound like Arnold Schwarzenegger to make the computer think I am doing a good job. Reminds me of the madtv clip (this one is for you Tim and Kory), "of course he does, he's my clone baby!"
Jeff


2 comments:

jimmy o said...

I hope it is like National Lampoon's European vacation. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hsM0CwqGrBs&feature=related

I have used the Instant Immersion Deluxe software a little bit for Spanish and it seems alright so far. They are about $40 and you can get it at London Drugs or BestBuy.

Congratulations on your move to Deutchland!

<> said...

European vacation was a classic. ahh, instant immersion, thanks for the tip.