Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Recap: Graduation (Nov. 21, 2008)

Sort of as a last-minute idea, my parents and Jodi's mom and Brad decided to fly me back for my graduation at U of A. Jodi got some idea in her head about me wanting to go back (I suppose I am a touch transparent) and planned it out with her mom. In order to get a decent price on a one-way flight to Canada, I had to do a 34 hour itinerary: Freiburg-Frankfurt-Dublin-Boston-Denver-Calgary. I left here 11 pm Sunday and got to Calgary at 1 am Tuesday morning. So that's 26 hours plus an eight hour time change. I don't think I want to try that again anytime soon. Tuesday morning I stayed at Mom and Brad's, and then went up to Tim and Lesley's for Tuesday night, and then off to Edmonton. The ceremony was on Thursday, and I got the chance right before to visit my old office and Rob and my supervisor. It felt pretty strange not being there as a student, as the departure from U of A/Edmonton was incredibly hasty on our way over here. Unlike undergrad, there were no real instructions about where to go and when and how to line up so I felt pretty lost. Here's me and Mams and Paps at the Jubilee:And of course, the walk across the stage (I messed up with the handshake with the fellow draping the thing over me, no surprise there):
Me and Mom and Brad after the ceremony (or before):
After the ceremony, we all went out to Red Robin and got a nice Five-Alarm and mocha cake. Red Robin is still my favourite.
Erika got some use out of my hat after I got back:
Thanks Mom and Dad, Mom and Brad, and Tim, Les, Bailey, Nichole and Griff for the great time. It was sure good seeing you all again. I can imagine Jodi had an unreal week too at home alone with the kids in a still-foreign country. Thanks again Jodi.

Jeff

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

congratulations Jeff. You deserved a little Red Robin after going to school for frickin 20 years!!!!

seriously though...a lot of respect for you and for Jodes. You both have worked so hard...

<> said...

Thanks, it's nice to be done. Or closer to being done.

Jeff