Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Phone

One of the nicest things about not having our own place is not having our own phone line. Over the past couple of years, I entered quite a few contests because of my success in the Pepsi Xbox contest. So, I had to divulge our phone number on a few occasions, and of course, that information got sold to all kinds of telemarketers. On an average day, I think we got around 2 calls from telemarketers. We also didn't have call display, so we answered every call. We'd be changing a diaper upstairs or something and the phone rings and one of us would run downstairs to the phone thinking it might be important or relevant and it turns out being a telemarketer. Thanks, I just got poop lodged into the buttons of my phone for nothing. The worst ones are when there is just some calling service on the other end, like the reverse of an answering machine. Used to drive me nuts. One of the frequent telemarketers we got was some guy selling meat. Honestly, like I am going to by a side of beef from a telemarketer. Or the "you have won a paid vacation cruise, the cost to you is only $400". They've gotten so ridiculous now they even leave messages on our answering machine. We'd come home from Christmas holidays and have 5 or 6 messages from Meat Guy. They call at the worst times too; I would say about 50% of the calls would come around the time we eat supper. We would almost know for sure it was a telemarketer if we were sitting down to a nice bowl of shrimp primavera penne and lettuce wraps and the phone rang. I suppose it is a good marketing ploy, because they know people are eating so that's when they call - after people get home from work, and before they rush off to soccer practice or Tai Chi. I think it's just downright inconsiderate. Recently, I changed my tactics so I wouldn't get so frustrated. When they call, I pick it up, and then say, "Can you hold on a minute?", and then I put the phone down and let it sit there until I can hear that annoying, loud tone telling me I left the phone off the hook. I figure, it they want to waste my time, I am going to waste some of theirs. Good attitude, I know. I wish Canada had a federal program like the States where they can put your number on a 'Do not call' list for telemarketers. Apparently, they actually enforce it too and hand out some hefty fines to violators. Anyway, all I am saying is, it's nice not to have to pick up the phone and get a useless caller on the other end.


This is my last day in Edmonton this week, and then back to Airdrie for a while. For those that haven't seen these yet or want a refresher, here's Erika's 'new' glasses and Erika and Reese at halloween.

Jeff

1 comment:

Sarah and Randy said...

yo yo.
Just thought I would say hi and that I'm reading this for sure. So keep it up. Such a good idea to hear what you're up to especially since you're big adventure is coming!
I used to write a lot in ours and used feel like quite a loser that no one was reading it...or it felt like it anyways since no one ever commented on it.

But...you're not a loser..keep writing. I'm so glad you're doing it (the blog...).

I just mailed a letter to your cute moms house jodes so hopefully you'll get it before you go..ok not a letter..a picture...

sarah

ps getting call display doesn't help with the telemarketers either..because you still run to the phone when it's ringing..so it's still annoying.