Thursday, March 13, 2008

$50 for a Criminal Records Check?

There are a few things we need to do to be able to apply for a visa, like get some wallet-sized pictures done, get criminal records checks, and notes from the doctor saying we are ok, and don't have communicable, bird flu diseases. Jodi got a criminal records check a couple of years ago when she was working for the EUB in Calgary, and I think it was around $10 to get it done. We were pretty surprised when we got down to the Medicine Hat police station and it cost $50 each. Stuff like that drives me crazy. How hard is it to look on the computer and print out a report on somebody? I suppose they inflated the price so we could pay for some cop's peppercorn steak at the Beefeater. Oh well.
We are in Medicine Hat this week, and I think we are going to try to take in some of the things I never did growing up here, like the museum, and some pottery place. Maybe elkwater too. The visa is the pressing process now that we need to figure out, and then we need to do the bank account thing. Finding places over there is also proving to be pretty difficult. Furnished or not? And when I say not furnished, I mean completely unfurnished. The unfurnished apartments in Germany might not have a kitchen sink, or fridge, or oven, and sometimes not even flooring.
Jeff

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Gorgeous Beefeater....I used to plug Medalta's Great Wall of China (pottery that is) when I worked at the tourist centre.

rds

<> said...

I forgot you worked at the tourist center, that's pretty funny. Probably a pretty fun job though.

Jeff